Women in Ministry?
Doesn’t the Bible say women cannot preach?
Aren’t women supposed to be silent?
I Corinthians 14:34: – “Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says.”
- The law is the oral law of the Jews, the Talmud
- Paul was quoting their law, not making a policy statement to silence women.Didn’t Paul say woman cannot teach or have authority over a man?I Timothy 2:11-12 – “Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or have authority over a man, but to be in silence.”
- The context of this scripture is Paul was refuting the false doctrine of Gnosticism. The Gnostic women were using their sexuality to win converts to Gnosticism. This was the specific group of women he was referring to as correction not to establish the everlasting silence of women.
- The original Greek word “authentein” in Paul’s time, the apostolic period, meant, “causing erotic or symbolic death”. Paul used this word because the women were mixing Christianity with Gnosticism through sexuality, orgies, etc. The word “authentein” changed meanings in the third century to “exercise authority”.
- There are only five scriptures in the whole bible which have been used against woman preachers, each one taken out of context by those who would limit women in God’s kingdom.
- Jesus never told woman not to preach.
- Paul never prohibited woman from being apostles, prophets, pastors, evangelists, teachers, or workers in the body of Christ.
Galatians 3:28, – “There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.”
God gave THEM dominion in the garden
Genesis 1:26, “Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.
Deborah was a judge
Judges 4:4: – “God will pour out His Spirit on His sons and daughters.”
Joel 2:28-29: – “I will pour out my spirit on all flesh, even your sons and daughters will prophesy.”
Jesus never made a distinction between men and women in ministry, as disciples, instead Jesus through action elevated women above the traditions of men, calling them the daughters of Abraham, restoring the dominion God gave them in the garden.
- Jesus sent women to evangelize.
- The angels sent Mary Magdalene to proclaim the resurrection of Jesus to the 12.
- Women led house churches after Pentecost AND MORE!
- E-Mail : email@example.com